BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYÈRE
Preparation 15 min
Cooking time 1h30
- In a large pot, combine the butter, sugar, salt and 10 ½ cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Add the endive, cover, and cook until very tender when pierced with a knife. This will take about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Transfer the endive to paper towels to drain them of any excess liquid. Reserve 1 ¼ cups of the cooking liquid.
- Once the endives have cooled enough to handle, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from them.
- Wrap each endive with slices of ham. Arrange the endive in a shallow baking dish large enough so that all of the endive snugly fit with no space between them.
- Pour Alfredo sauce over the endives and spread to cover them evenly. Sprinkle with the Gruyere evenly.
- Place the dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.