FARFALLE WITH KALE PESTO AND ROASTED SQUASH
Preparation 25 min.
Cooking time 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, combine butternut squash, 3 tbps olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss until well coated. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roast the butternut squash until tender and golden brown.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for both the kale and pasta. Cook only the kale first for 1 minute, until tender. Using tongs, transfer kale to an ice water bath.
- Squeeze all of the excess moisture out of the kale. Roughly chop and add to a food processor.
- Add hazelnuts, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest and process the mixture while streaming in olive oil, stopping before it becomes a smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Before draining, reserve about 1 cup of the starchy pasta cooking water.
- Off the heat, combine the drained pasta with the kale pesto and toss to coat evenly. Add reserved pasta cooking water as necessary.
- Toss with roasted butternut squash and cheese.
- Serve topped with more cheese and toasted hazelnuts grated on a rasp over the pasta.