PERSIAN TOMATO RICE
Cooking time 45
- In a medium bowl, wash the rice thoroughly using lukewarm water, swirling vigorously with your fingers and changing the water at least 5 times until the water runs much clearer. Cover the rice with fresh lukewarm water and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick pot, heat olive oil on medium-heat and cook onion until translucent.
- Add potatoes and garlic and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 2 ¼ cups of marinara sauce to the pot and saffron and mix until well combined.
- Drain the rice in a colander and add it to the same pot as well as 1 1/2 cups of water and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Stir well.
- Bring the rice to a simmer and reduce to low, cover with a lid lined with a paper towel or clean dish towel. Cook on low heat for an additional 30-35 minutes.
- Once ready, gently fluff the rice before serving it on a large platter. Serve with plain Greek-style yogurt or a fresh tomato-cucumber salad with lemon vinaigrette.