Sausage and Cheese Ciambella
Preparation 10 min
Cooking time 45 min
- In a bowl, mix milk, water, yeast and sugar.
- In a food processor, add the flour, butter and salt. Pulse until combined; then add the wet ingredients to the dry. Process until well combined.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and knead into a smooth ball of dough, about 2 minutes.
- Place dough in a large bowl covered with a kitchen towel. Let rise, in a warm area, for about 45 minutes or until doubled.
- In the meantime, add the sausage, provolone and salami to the food processor. Pulse until just combined.
- When the dough is ready, roll it out on a clean, lightly floured surface, into a large rectangle, about 13-inch x 10-inch.
- Spread the sausage stuffing on the dough, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides.
- Roll the dough lengthwise and bring the two ends together, to form a crown. Press well to make sure the ends are sealed.
- Place the ciambella on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Brush the ciambella with the egg and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the ciambella is golden brown.
- Transfer the baked ciambella to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- As an option, warm the pizza sauce and pour into a small ramequin.
- Cut the ciambella into ½-inch slices and serve with the warm pizza sauce.