BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO
Preparation 15 min
Cooking time 60 min
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- In a bowl, toss the squash with about one table spoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven until the squash is tender and lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large, high-sided, frying pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable stock over medium-low heat.
- Add the rice to the shallots and lightly toast for 2 to 3 minutes before deglazing with the wine.
- Add one ladle of stock at a time, stirring continuously, until all the stock is absorbed.
- Continue stirring until the rice is al dente, adding the butternut squash 2 minutes before the rice is finished cooking.
- Add the butter and Piave cheese, stir vigorously, and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and let the risotto rest for 1 minute.
- For the garnish, in a small frying pan over medium-high heat, fry the sage leaves in 2 tbsp of the olive oil until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the sage, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Plate the risotto and top with fried sage leaves, poppy seeds and more freshly grated Piave cheese.