Preparation 15 min.
Cooking time 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large straight-sided sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook, without moving, until well browned and crisp, about 8 minutes, lowering heat if pan starts to smoke excessively. Flip chicken and brown lightly on second side, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a large plate and set aside.
- Add sausage to the same skillet and cook until well browned on all sides.
- Remove pan from the heat, transfer sausage to a cutting board and cut into 3 to 4 slices.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add onion and bell peppers, stirring and scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes until softened and browned. Add sage and garlic, stir and cook for another minute.
- Add pickled cherry peppers and their liquid, stirring and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and stir to combine. Return sausage to pan, toss to combine, then return chicken pieces to pan skin side up, nestling them down among sauce, vegetables, and sausage.
- Transfer to oven and cook until chicken is crisp and tender, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately, spooning sauce, vegetables, and sausage around chicken pieces.