Preparation 15 min
Cooking time 7-10 min
Yields 4 12" pizzas. Note that the dough will need to rest 3-4 hours.
FOR THE DOUGH
FOR THE TOPPINGS
- Preheat oven at 500°F.
- Place a pizza stone on the middle oven rack and heat for at least 1 hour.
- In a stand mixer, combine flour, water and yeast.
- Knead the mix at medium-low speed for about 3-4 minutes. Pour in oil and salt and continue kneading, ensuring all ingredients are well incorporated, until the dough forms. Let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Knead again for 3 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal parts and shape into balls.
- Place the dough on a well-floured work surface, cover with damp cloth and let rise at room temperature for 3-4 hours. (You may also refrigerate the dough from 8 to 24 hours. When ready to use, the dough must come to room temperature for 30-45 minutes before use).
- Place each ball on a well-floured workspace and, using fingers, stretch out the dough in all directions at first. Then shape into circle or square, as desired.
- Put the sauce in the middle of the stretched-out dough and, using the back of a spoon, spread it on the surface, leaving a ½ inch border for the crust.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Break up mozzarella in big chunks and place them on the sauce. Add basil leaf pieces.
- Using a pizza peel, slide one pizza on the stone in the oven. Bake 7 to 10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Finish with a drizzle of spicy oil (optional) and serve. Buon appetito!