Preparation 15 min
Cooking time 40 min
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add swiss chard and butternut squash and cook for an additional 3 minutes until it wilted.
- Add chick peas, chicken stock and tomato basil sauce and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat and cover with a lid.
- Meanwhile, cut each meatball into 4 pieces and shape each piece into a little ball. Transfer the meatballs to a parchment lined sheet pan and cook in the oven under broil for approximately 2 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Add meatballs to the soup and simmer for 30 minutes until the swiss chard is tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with pecorino cheese, if desired.