Preparation 15 min
Cooking time 35 min
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and fennel and cook while stirring for 5 to7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the cabbage and kale and cook until they are wilted, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the bay leaves, marinara sauce, beans with their liquid, and the water. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush the baguette slices with olive oil, place on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The bread should be golden brown.
- Once the soup is cooked, place 1 or 2 slices of grilled bread in a bowl and ladle the soup over the bread. If desired, garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and freshly ground black pepper before serving.