Preparation 40 min
Cooking time 25 min
- Peel eggplants and cut into 1 cm pieces. Place on a slotted sheet (ideally above the sink as eggplants will lose water). Sprinkle salt on eggplants and layer the slices on top of each other on the sheet (2-3 layers). Let the vegetable liquid drain from eggplants, about 25-30 minutes.
- Pat off the excess salt from eggplants. In a pan filled to about a quarter way with hot vegetable oil, fry each slice of eggplant on both sides (add more oil as needed during the process).
- When all the eggplant has been fried and are golden brown on each side, place on a sheet or plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- In a small saucepan, heat the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- In a baking dish (25 cm x 33 cm), spread a layer of sauce and add 2-3 knobs of butter. Then layer a row of eggplants and cover with some sauce, breadcrumbs and cheese. Repeat the step for 3 layers and finish with cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.