HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE BAKLAVA
Preparation 30 min
Cooking time 30 min
Portions 12 min
For the syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Add syrup ingredients to a small saucepan on medium heat. Stir occasionally and reduce down for 10 to 15 minutes until syrup has thickened and reduced down by about a quarter. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- While the syrup cools, generously brush a 5 x 13-inch deep baking tray with melted butter.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1 tbsp of butter, and add hazelnut cocoa spread. Stir until well combined and warm so that it can be easily drizzled.
- On a clean surface, lay all layers of phyllo pastry flat, and cover with a clean cotton dish towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Take 2 sheets of phyllo, covering the remainder. Brush the first sheet with melted butter, then lay the next sheet on top and brush with a little more butter. Sprinkle some ground hazelnuts all over the sheet and, using a fork, drizzle Stefano hazelnut cocoa spread all over the surface.
- Gently roll the phyllo pastry sheets into a log (not too tightly) and cut the baklava in half.
- Place in a baking tray, and immediately brush with butter. Repeat the same process until the baking pan is full of baklava rolls.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 to 40 minutes until fully golden brown.
- Take baklavas out of the oven and immediately pour over the cooled syrup. You may not need all of the syrup. Sprinkle a little of the reserved ground hazelnuts on the baklavas for garnish, and drizzle additional hazelnut cocoa spread, if desired.
- Let stand until completely cool before serving, preferably a few hours. Baklavas can be covered tightly and stored for 3 days at room temperature or longer in the fridge, if they last that long!