Lemon Ricotta Doughnuts (Castagnole)
Preparation 10 min
Cooking time 10 min.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the ricotta, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon zest
- In a different large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt until fully combined.
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable frying oil over medium-high heat.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ones. Combine well to form a smooth mixture.
- Scoop the mixture into small balls of dough and drop them into the hot frying oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain the doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Let the doughnuts rest for a few seconds before rolling them in the granulated sugar. Repeat until all doughnuts are cooked and sugared. Set aside on a different plate.
- Using a piping bag, stuff some hazelnut cocoa spread into each doughnut. Arrange on a platter and serve